Thursday, February 19, 2009

me and D

Last winter I had a rather hard time getting up in the mornings. As I mentioned before, this year I decided to take a 400IU pill a day from October to April. And now that the days are getting longer and brighter, I am more than happy to say I had no sluggish mornings and no midday train wrecks. I think it has done my body much good! I have to add that I do drink my 2 glasses a day of milk which is of course vitamin A&D fortified. I also eat cheese and keep a good balance of fruit and vegetables in my diet; plus I exercise regularly. It was just that during the darker months of the year I was lacking the vitamin D produced with sunshine in my body ...

I looked up a few fact about Seasonal Affective Disorder; mine was not that severe, but I think the same solutions helped me get over my winter blues.

According to Mental Health America, women suffer from SAD three times more often then men, as do those in colder climates and people who work for extended periods without sunlight or work the night shift.

The suggestions for getting over SAD are:
  • get as much sunlight as possible
  • take vitamin D
  • exercise
  • watch the carbs. as much as your body craves them, you should opt for healthier carbs like vegetables, whole grains, and fruits which will help keep you energized.
  • keep up social interaction
  • be nice to yourself

No comments: