Monday, December 08, 2008

state of mind

About 2pm on Sunday, unsuspectingly, we walked into a store on Davie. A woman about 50, thin, with light blue jeans and a not so stylish shirt and jacket, walked rapidly towards us and asked us in a very high pitched voice whether someone had referred us to the store and without pause followed that she has been in business since 1993. Silly me, I took it as a greeting and said: "no, we were just walking by."
As those words left my lips, her face grew tense and she started telling us how she dresses people and that people come from a long way away and that they make appointments ... and she didn't breathe! She talked faster and faster and grew more aggressive as she went on. We stood there with our eyes wide and our jaws hanging! I don't know how long that went on but it seemed an infinity.
As soon as she breathed to say that her store is not for looking around in, I turned to the door and reached to push it open. She yelled in her squeaky voice: "no, no, don't touch the door, I'll open it, you already jammed it!" Even if I had jammed it coming in, which I hadn't, she couldn't have known!
We walked out and away so shocked at what we had just witnessed that we couldn't even talk. We still haven't figured whether she was bipolar, high on drugs or just pure crazy and we couldn't even tell if she wanted us gone, wanted us to come back with an appointment or was looking for a specific reaction.
After getting something to eat we walked back to find the name of the shop. Believe me, she was walking out to slap me as I was looking for the name of the store on the window. And yes, I ran away before she got to the door!
It was reassuring to learn later that we weren't the only people who had encountered the crazy lady (apparently she's called Linda). I wonder how she is still in business! Oh, and the name of the store, State of Mind, how fitting!

No comments: