Tuesday, February 13, 2007

withdrawn

One of my friends brought up a really good point at a meeting,
  • Remember how we got more than a 1000 people out to our meeting and it got no media coverage?
  • Yeah.
  • The recent CFS-organized so called demonstration to reduce tuition didn't even get half as many students and it was all over the headlines for 2 days.
I later thought to myself that this CFS-run tuition reduction campaign has been going on for at least a couple of years that I know of, and like all the other CFS projects is just an excuse to spend money. They haven't done a thing in so many years.

And then I thought of how the very smaller group of lobbyists which started out at UBC and never made a claim of the sort the stupid CFS makes has so far got a lot more than them done, at least for graduate students ... after going through all of this and remembering the struggles we had with the media and all back home, it just came to me, it's the same, everywhere. The media are looking for something that looks catchy, makes a good headline, it doesn't really matter if it's hollow, it just needs to bring attention to them!

Last night I was flipping the local newspaper and again the same thing. The rather old story that SFU will be changing its logo was in the paper, the same paper that never even mentioned a word on the months of work that went into impeaching the SFSS directors, our issues with the bank that holds our money or even the ruling of the courts. I am sure that the SGM and the ongoing campaign for graduate autonomy will affect SFU students far more than the crosses on the logo!

As a result of all of this I've been watching and reading a lot less of the news lately, I don't care any more. I guess this will go on for a while and then I'll forget about it and fall into the fake world the media has created around me again ...

No comments: