Friday, September 29, 2006

over qualified

I used career days as an excuse to go and have a chat with a couple of companies who had come hunting for co-ops. There were also people from CSIS, the police force, the army ... and Cactus club!

Despite everyone making fun of me, I know that I want the be a waitress at least for a short period in my life, at least part time. As I was walking out, I stepped to their booth and asked whether they have any restrictions about the people they hire. The lady explained that there are many students who work there and it is fine if I am a student. I told her I was in engineering and her reply was "You have far too much character to be an engineer". I told her that we engineers aren't dull people ... You really don't want to know what she said when I told her I was a PhD student ... I won't say anything about my education if I really do decide to work as a waitress elsewhere, I just have to find the perfect place!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, I envy you!
every time you go somewhere you get so many complements. there should be something very special about you. last time you mentioned that someone judged you too good for someone else. and this was only one of the many times you receive these kind of complements.
Only my parents give me complements to build my self-confidence I guess. I hardly remember anyone else talking to me like that!

Pedram said...

sounds cool. I guess you should be quick, otherwise there will be a time you don't find enough time for doing this...

dokhtare aftab said...

dear anonymous, i'll tell you the secret. there is nothing special about me. i live my life so that i am happy, i live it so i like the things around me, so i like the people i hang out with ... and i change or leave whatever i don't like. that way i always have a smile, most of the time feel satisfied and usually am ready to take anything on. one more thing, whenever i need it i remind myself that of the special gift of living i have ... i am sure you are a pretty special person, you just need to discover it for yourself. start at the fact that you have wonderful parents who tell you you are beautiful ...