Friday, November 17, 2006

professional help

We met at a friend's party and talked for quite some time. It never occurred to me to ask him if he too was a student or not, since it was my understanding that we were all students and that was how we all knew each other. Conversation somehow got to talking about thesis and I, for some reason, said that I needed help on a subject. He jumped in and started explaining when I insisted that it was neither the right time or place for such talk, so the conversation was delayed until the next working day.

After we had wandered around school talking about everything ranging from concrete to maps, after getting coffee and after meeting and chatting with a mutual friend, we arrived at my office. He sat and patiently helped me out.

I walked with him to the door, shook his hand and thanked him for his help. As he walked away another friend approached. He asked me where I knew the other guy from and what he was doing in our lab. My answer was simple, I needed help on something which he apparently is an expert at, so he dropped by to give me a hand. I saw the grin, my friend calmly said, So now you're past the students and you can only consult the professors? I just realized ... oh well, what better than to talk with the true expert!

No comments: